Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Why now, Jesse?


Too little, too late? Posted by Hello
My Way News: "'She is being starved to death, she is being dehydrated to death. That's immoral and unnecessary,' the civil rights leader told reporters after meeting Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, near the hospice where she is being cared for."

I am thankful for anyone's efforts for the cause of Mrs. Schiavo and I have no doubt that Rev. Jackson's advocacy may actually make a difference for some of the politicians standing in the way of effective intervention.
But, I have to ask: Where were you for the past two weeks? Why now, after ten days of starvation?
  • Was your internet connection down?
  • Cable go out?
  • Let your subscription to the paper lapse?

I hate to be cynical in light of Mrs. Schiavo's imminent demise, but this reeks of self-promotion and opportunism. He will get credit for being on the moral side of the argument, but will get no flack from the left-of-center forces working for Mrs. Schiavo's "right-to-die" since he did not intervene when it would have made a significant difference.

Please, tell me I'm wrong. I really do want to think the best of people, but this just seems odd.

St Paul at Fraters Libertas welcomes the Reverand to the Right Wing.

No comments: