Thursday, September 08, 2005

Mary... I remembered what I was going to say...

Did you see this? Radio Blogger: has a transcript from Hugh Hewitt's show yesterday. It's Hugh (HH) interviewing Fox News' Major Garret (MG):

"HH: You just broke a pretty big
story. I was watching up on the corner television in my studio,
and it's headlined that the Red Cross was blocked from delivering
supplies to the Superdome, Major Garrett. Tell us what you found
out.
MG: Well, the Red Cross, Hugh,
had pre-positioned a literal vanguard of trucks with water, food,
blankets and hygiene items. They're not really big into medical
response items, but those are the three biggies that we saw people
at the New Orleans Superdome, and the convention center, needing
most accutely. And all of us in America, I think, reasonably asked
ourselves, geez. You know, I watch hurricanes all the time. And
I see correspondents standing among rubble and refugees and evacuaees.
But I always either see that Red Cross or Salvation Army truck
nearby. Why don't I see that?
HH: And the answer is?
MG: The answer is the Louisiana
Department of Homeland Security, that is the state agency responsible
for that state's homeland security, told the Red Cross explicitly,
you cannot come.
HH: Now Major Garrett, on what
day did they block the delivery? Do you know specifically?
MG: I am told by the Red Cross,
immediately after the storm passed.
HH: Okay, so that would be on
Monday afternoon.
MG: That would have been Monday
or Tuesday. The exact time, the hour, I don't have. But clearly,
they had an evacuee situation at the Superdome, and of course,
people gravitated to the convention center on an ad hoc basis.
They sort of invented that as another place to go, because they
couldn't stand the conditions at the Superdome.
HH: Any doubt in the Red Cross'
mind that they were ready to go, but they were blocked?
MG: No. Absolutely none. They
are absolutely unequivocal on that point.
HH: And are they eager to get
this story out there, because they are chagrined by the coverage
that's been emanating from New Orleans?"

No comments: